The principals at MetaMatrix Groupe have been involved in the Renewable Energy Industry for 25 years. During the first energy crisis, we actively engaged the Solar Industry and developed programs to offer thermal solar hot water systems through major regional department stores.
The use of this retail channel was the first of its kind. It paved the way for manufactures and consumers to converge and bring reliable, fully warranted, secure products to the solar customer.
Since the beginning of 2005, U.S. energy prices have been generally increasing, in part due to hurricanes Katrina and Rita, geopolitical situations in the Middle East and demand pressure on oil supplies from the Far East. These issues have increased interest in alternate energy sources, which include renewable energy sources such as solar.
Federal and State governments have passed various initiatives, providing incentives for manufacturers and energy users.
California has led the way in passing aggressive legislation aimed at reducing the country's dependence on foreign oil sources.
The California Solar Initiative - CSI
As part of Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger's Million Solar Roofs Program, California has set a goal to create 3,000 megawatts of new, solar-produced electricity by 2017 - moving the state toward a cleaner energy future and helping lower the cost of solar systems for consumers.
- The California Public Utilities Commission, through its California Solar Initiative, provides over $2 billion in incentives over the next decade for existing residential homes and existing and new commercial, industrial, and agricultural properties.
- The California Energy Commission manages a 10-year, $350 million program to encourage solar in new home construction through its New Solar Homes Partnership.
The overall goal is to help build a self-sustaining photovoltaic, solar electricity market. The current program does not fund solar hot water systems.
The California Solar Initiative offers:
- Photovoltaic incentives starting at $2.50 per watt for systems up to one megawatt in size
- Funds for solar installations for existing and new low-income and affordable housing
- A pay-for-performance incentive structure to reward high-performing solar projects
The California Solar Initiative will be coordinated with the state's energy efficiency, "smart" metering, and building standards programs at the Public Utilities Commission and Energy Commission, ensuring that the state is using its energy resources wisely.
Tax Credits and Rebates
Both Federal and California Incentives are available for the installation of solar.
- California: Rebates from the California Energy Commission
- Federal: $2000 credit against taxes
The Solar Industry
The Venture Capital Investment Community continues to invest massive funding amounts in new research and development, new products and new technological innovations that are being introduced almost daily.
As we move through the Technology Product Life Cycle process, many producers of Solar solutions will emerge, and some will fail. It is prudent to analyze this phenomenon and to determine where the true solution exists. It is also prudent upon the manufactures and retail channels to provide the best, most reliable and complete product for the consumer in the mainstream market.
MetaMatrix Groupe believes that the Renewable Energy Industry is the next new global opportunity.